It’s Spring! Checklist for Annual Tech Maintenance
Though it’s still chilly here at NetRate’s headquarters in Okemos, Michigan, around the country, many of our clients are seeing signs of spring. If refreshing the office is on your agenda this season, don’t forget about technology.
It’s critical to tune up your tech space so it doesn’t fail at a critical moment. Some software updates and diagnostic tests take considerable time, making them tasks that get pushed off to a later day. At NetRate, we like to think of ourselves as your industry friend that knows all things tech, so we prepared this list to use when spring cleaning your devices at the office, or at home.
- Back up your data. Most companies already do this regularly, or have moved to cloud storage. Just in case, be sure to back up your servers and even your desktop/laptops on a regular basis. Often, backing up your desktop gets overlooked when using a share drive or other type of shared storage, but it is still a good idea.
- Download software updates. We find clients delay updates to operating systems, security and anti-virus software, simply because it can be time consuming. These programs are critical for system performance and data security.
- Check your hardware. Run diagnostics on your computers to make sure they are functioning at optimum performance levels.
- Organize digital files. Arrange files in logical folders and eliminate things you don’t need. Most working professionals tend to hoard tons of files and emails. Ask yourself what’s truly necessary to keep. Same goes for unused software or mobile apps. Take the time to delete what’s not being used.
- Manage passwords. If you have not already adopted this best-practice security measure, take the time to establish a plan to update passwords periodically. You may want to evaluate an application such as KeePass or LastPass to securely store encrypted passwords online.
- Physically clean your devices. Power down desktop systems, laptops, tablets and phones. Mix equal parts isopropyl alcohol and distilled water as a cleaning solution, and use a microfiber cloth to wipe down screens. Use canned air to clean keyboards.
We also encourage you to use spring as a time to take a step away from the daily demands of work and think about possibilities, ask questions, and share ideas.
Our team has more than 30 years of experience with insurance software, and we are excited about the future. Have an idea that would make your work life easier? Reach out to your account manager or give us a call at (877) 790-1114. The NetRate team members are customization experts and welcome your ideas.
Experience with Insurance software: https://www.netrate.com/about-us/